Sunday, December 16, 2018




My Google Code-In 2018 Experience with OpenMRS....


-Jubel Kurian @ GCI 2018

ABOUT::
OpenMRS:
The Open Medical Record System (OpenMRS) is an open source electronic medical record application. It enables the design of a customized medical records system with no programming knowledge (although medical and systems analysis knowledge is required). It is a common framework upon which medical informatics efforts in developing countries can be built. OpenMRS is an open source project organized under the auspices of a public benefit corporation.OpenMRS helps improve health care service provisions in resource-restricted environments by coordinating a global community consisted of NGOs, Volunteers, etc.

GoogleCode-In:
Google Code is a 2 month long open source competition aiming to introduce teenagers 13 to 17 years old to the world of open source. It allows students to make contributions to various organizations in different fields.
You can work on various tasks that vary in difficulty and areas of expertise like coding, design, research, etc. Once you complete a task, you can submit it for review, where it will be reviewed by the organization mentors within 36 hours by a volunteer mentor. The organization I chose to work with this year was OpenMRS.



My Experience::
I can't imagine how fast these 2 months passed away so quickly in the blink of an eye! All throughout these months, I have been busy contributing something towards the welfare of humanity! Yes, what you heard is right! I have been working with OpenMRS community under the mentorship of various volunteers who helped me steer through various tasks, helping me complete the tasks within time limits that too with utmost care and excellent workmanship and efficiency. Working with OpenMRS helped me learn a lot on using Smart Applications, Exposure to Smart healthcare systems and what not can be done with the power of the internet! I have literally fallen in love with the audaciousness of the excellent motive of OpenMRS. I just loved the experience I gathered and gained in these periods of my participation in GCI 2018. Working with open MRS has in fact become a life thruster for me, as I learned a lot about Open Source, Got to experience like a professional, Gained experience from existing members and seniors.





This year I managed to complete 22 Tasks. Indeed this is a very big achievement for me. But the main point is the exposure I achieved and how I got to meet and interact with fellow mentors and other members... I was a frequent user of OpenMRS talk, IRC channel and always kept a track on what OpenMRS does on various social media platforms also. Doing this helped me a lot to stay updated about OpenMRS and also helped me learn much more. This year was very fascinating for me.

This time, unlike last year I tried my best to use all the knowledge that I had and did tasks from various fields ranging from Designing, Coding, Research, Etc. Actually, the fact that I got to be a part of such a noble initiative is an award for me!




What's in for Future!::
Although this year's GCI ended on a wonderful note, I feel very privileged that I was able to donate myself towards the welfare of humanity. All the experience that I gained, I am very grateful. I would like to thank all the administrators, mentors, GCI, etc. for guiding me and helping me so nicely to perform at my fullest at such a big level. I also wish in fact promise to take this initiative forward and be an active citizen of the OpenMRS community while also being the mentor for future Competitions as this is my last one!

For future participants, I have some TIPS:
1. Always be active in OpenMRS talk and other community sites.
2. Be obedient and polite to your mentors.
3. Don't make a fuss for your task to be reviewed fast, as the mentors are actually volunteers who have their own busy schedule to look after in their jobs. Don't worry! Your task will surely be reviewed in 36 hours time limit or before.
4. Never give up! yeah. Don't get annoyed or discouraged when it tells' More Work Needed!' Do a bit more efficiently. Doing a task is actually not for name-sake. It is in fact meant to make a contribution towards the organization and community.
5. Don't get disheartened if you are not able to come in top 20 / be declared a finalist or winner. The fact that you got a chance to gain such a wonderful experience and exposure should matter to you. Try again next time. ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment